Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fall 2012

As I mentioned before, I am not attending BYU right now so many of you are probably wondering why I am heading back down to Utah. The answer is rather simple, it is home. I love Alaska and my family but I do not want to live in Alaska permanently; this was made more obvious when I came back this summer. I love Alaska, there are a lot of happy/fun memories here but it is about time for me to be moving on I think.

When I booked my return ticket to Utah, it was with the intention of just working while I tried to figure out what it was I wanted to do with my future. I had been toying with the idea of technical schools to become a Dental Assistant, however some were really expensive. I didn't want to spend all that money and decide that I still wanted to go back to school to get a bachelors in something else. So I decided that I would just take some time to contemplate what I wanted to do and in the meantime I would work.

I began looking for some jobs on KSL.com (classifieds for UT, ID, NV, AZ, etc.) when I stumbled across an ad for a Dental Assisting school. I began to look more into it and found out that they offered a 12 week course for Dental Assisting. By the end of the 12 week period you were state certified in Radiology, received a certificate of completetion, and they would try help you get a job with a dental office. The best part of this. . .the cost is $3000.00. I checked the schedule and realized that I would be missing part of this semester, so I sent an email to the school asking when their next available class was.

They emailed me back and stated they would be willing to help me catch up if I wanted to sign up for the class that starts the end of September, if not then I would have to wait until January for their next class; I decided to enroll in Fall semester. So I will be working part time and going to school for Dental Assisting as well.

I am very excited with this opportunity; the job market for Dental Assistants is really good, even in the Utah area. Next Fall, I am hoping to re-enroll at BYU to get my bachelors (in what I still am not sure) however I will be most likely be going part time and working full time as a Dental Assistant.

I have also applied for the Administrator over the Training Programs with HAP Alaska-Yukon in Provo, Utah. I will find out by the end of the month if I got the position; if I do, then I will have to re-evaluate what I want to do come winter for work. More to come on that! There are many more changes to come in my life, and I cannot wait to share them with you all.

Love,

Ashlyn

No comments:

Post a Comment